KDA Farmers Market Contest
The Kentucky Department of Agriculture is proud to announce the 2014 KDA Farmers Market Contest. The contest is open to FFA members who plant a market garden and join their local farmers’ market to sell what they grow.
The contest consists of a written marketing plan and portfolio at the regional level. At the state level regional winners will be interviewed on their plan and marketing/production experiences. The questions on the plan are designed to highlight market research, display skills, and direct marketing savvy. Pictures of displays and of the vegetables/fruits in the field should accompany the entry. Each picture in the portfolio should be labeled with the date and location of the picture.
At the regional level, entries will be judged at 75% for the marketing plan and 25% for the portfolio. At the state level, regional winners will be interviewed regarding their project. The interview will count 75% with the marketing plan and portfolio comprising the remaining 25%. All entries will be judged by KDA Marketing Specialists.
Regional winners will receive $50, the second place entry will receive $100, and the state winner will receive $300.
Applications are due May 20th and should be mailed to: Kentucky FFA, 2023 Capital Plaza Tower, Frankfort, KY 40601.
NOTE: KDA is aware that some counties are not served by a community farmers’ market. Participants who wish to enter from those counties may direct market products through other channels, such as on-farm sales or roadside stands. The participant must market directly to the retail customer. This option is available only in counties not served by a community farmers’ market or where membership in that market is not available. For a complete list of farmers’ markets in Kentucky visit http://www.kyagr.com.